Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

NurseRatched's Desert Island Discs

NurseRatched

Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:20 pm

Indeed. The rocks (boulders, cliffs, valleys, volcanoes...) in our lives make the songs sweeter. If it weren't for music, I might be dead! I am a bit of a sad doll, but I love all types of music EXCEPT COUNTRY/WESTERN. Not my cup of tea.
NEW TO MY HEART:
Black Dahlia by Porcupine Tree-I love the ethereal quality of this song..

Bow Your Head by Anna Ternheim-Rain, water, the sea, Sweden..you will see a theme with me

Line of Fire by Junip-I own every Junip album. They are superb; the lead singer's voice is pretty distinct, so you may or may not take to them. Swedish group.

Yachts (featuring Chris Coco)-It's just so fun!

One Mint Julep byt Ray Charles-good luck sitting down while this is playing! Get your twist on!

Done by Frazey Ford-Kick ass song by a great woman. *Song contains colorful language (but fits well within the context of what she is going through!)

Black Moon by Wilco-I just like it a lot.

Mirrorball by Elbow-I love the line "We kissed like we invented it"..magic.

THE OLD FAVORITES:
My Family by Joan Armatrading-If you are a Joan fan, you must own the album "Whatever's For Us". Please talk to me about this album if you know it, because it made a huge impact at a crucial time in my life!

Mellow by Elton John-Lori will laugh, but my love for Elton John goes back to my early childhood. I love him, I know everything about him, I have a problem. Deeply troubling. Like, I wanted to strangle KiKi Dee as a child (don't be scared, I am not violent) because I was so jealous that she got to sing with him and I didn't.

When Ye Go Away by The Waterboys-This is my absolute favorite Irish band (sorry Bono); their music is such a gift to the world, and no one remembers them :| A little background about this piece. My husband & I saw them live in Minneapolis. Mike Scott set the mood for this song- "Imagine you are a raggle-taggle bunch of musicians & you've been jamming in the pub 'til dawn. You wander back to your cottage with your mates. Fire is roaring; someone is cooking breakfast. You pull up a footstool by the fireplace. Someone pulls out the guitar."
One of their songs was featured in Waking Ned Devine.

Little Green by Joni Mitchell-Such a heart-wrenching song about the daughter she gave up for adoption; off the iconic album "Blue".

All Things Must Pass by George Harrison-Ok, George is everyone's 3rd favorite Beatle, but if you don't think the entire "All Things Must Pass" album is a masterpiece, then I can't really look at you right now...lol. Incredible, exquisite, deeply truthful song. "Isn't It a Pity" could have been written yesterday.

Recollections by Miles Davis-Love me some Miles Davis. This song is a meditation. I listen to it after workouts in the sauna. It's ritualistic to me.. Bitches Brew is an incredible album if you're interested.

As by Stevie Wonder-It's Stevie. I think his later mediocre radio stuff ruined some people & they will never investigate his earlier MONUMENTALLY MAGNIFICENT music.

Love is a Losing Game by Amy Winehouse- Amy was a genius. I miss her. The documentary "Amy" is one of the saddest movies I have ever seen.

Lori
Site Admin

Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:16 pm

I've been a dry riverbed aching for new songs. I'm going to bask in the above. Keep them coming!

Lori
Site Admin

Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:14 pm

P.S. As you post, highlight your video links and hit the youtube1 button (last button in the formatting options) and you will get the video itself to post. :) One of the Harbour nymphs came behind you and did it above...

NurseRatched

Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:30 am

Lori wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:14 pm
P.S. As you post, highlight your video links and hit the youtube1 button (last button in the formatting options) and you will get the video itself to post. :) One of the Harbour nymphs came behind you and did it above...
Yes! Thanks to the kind lady who did that...I have it down now. :D

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:35 am

Wow! So many Yet Unknown listed here amongst a few favourites of my own, so this will be exciting. Off to do my chores round the house with this playlist. Shall report back soon!

Lori
Site Admin

Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:49 am

Mmm, mmm, mmm - loving this playlist while I get ready for big bad Monday. Love Wilco - If I Ever Was A Child is also one of my favs.

Regarding Joan Armatrading, I was hooked on her too! My long slow dance was the album Walking Under Ladders and to this day particularly "The Weakness In Me". There is just such an honesty in her delivery, and at that particular time (I believe the early 80's) a lot of the music was just so clubby and surface. Who turned you on to this talented lady?

Revisiting the album Whatever's For Us...

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:08 pm

I've just been through the playlist the second time, Mz NR, with headphones this time & full attention (not a muddy boot in sight), and I'm thrilled with both the new discoveries and the pretty spectacularly large intersection of our musical tastes. A resounding yes from me to most of these songs.

The greatest gifts you've given me with this playlist here are:

Little Green by Joni M, Done by Frazey Ford,
and two bands to instantly explore more thoroughly: Junip and Wilco. I'm playing Wilco's latest album on Spotify as I'm writing this, 'If I ever was a child' is a great track indeed, Lori, I've just rewound it.

Nice choice from Amy, I love her too. Great jazz tracks. Your passionate love for Elton and murderous thoughts about Kiki made me smile.
I guess Don't go breaking my heart is not one of your faves then? As I've had no invested interest in the man, ha! I love that song, makes me smile every time. I'd choose Rocket Man though as my favourite Elton track.

George as the third favourite Beatle? Not everybody's! Nah. He'd come in as my No.2 for "overall", but certainly No.1 as the cutest and nicest man of them all. John was just something else entirely, and I'm afraid I don't like Paul McCartney at all, even though I appreciate he's written some fabulous songs in his time with the Beatles. I never liked The Wings. I think George did ok on his own, but my favourite top three Harrison songs would all be Beatles songs: While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Here Comes The Sun and Something. Out of the lot of them I like John's solo stuff most. (And I love his drawings!
The day he died I was unconsolable. He was the first person whose death profoundly affected me. I never forget the tsunami of emotions.)

Anyways, I'm digressing.

I wanted to say a big thank you for this playlist and all the introductions. Like Lori said, please keep them coming! :D

NurseRatched

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:05 pm

Dee wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:08 pm
I've just been through the playlist the second time, Mz NR, with headphones this time & full attention (not a muddy boot in sight), and I'm thrilled with both the new discoveries and the pretty spectacularly large intersection of our musical tastes. A resounding yes from me to most of these songs.

The greatest gifts you've given me with this playlist here are:

Little Green by Joni M, Done by Frazey Ford,
and two bands to instantly explore more thoroughly: Junip and Wilco. I'm playing Wilco's latest album on Spotify as I'm writing this, 'If I ever was a child' is a great track indeed, Lori, I've just rewound it.

Nice choice from Amy, I love her too. Great jazz tracks. Your passionate love for Elton and murderous thoughts about Kiki made me smile.
I guess Don't go breaking my heart is not one of your faves then? As I've had no invested interest in the man, ha! I love that song, makes me smile every time. I'd choose Rocket Man though as my favourite Elton track.

George as the third favourite Beatle? Not everybody's! Nah. He'd come in as my No.2 for "overall", but certainly No.1 as the cutest and nicest man of them all. John was just something else entirely, and I'm afraid I don't like Paul McCartney at all, even though I appreciate he's written some fabulous songs in his time with the Beatles. I never liked The Wings. I think George did ok on his own, but my favourite top three Harrison songs would all be Beatles songs: While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Here Comes The Sun and Something. Out of the lot of them I like John's solo stuff most. (And I love his drawings!
The day he died I was unconsolable. He was the first person whose death profoundly affected me. I never forget the tsunami of emotions.)

Anyways, I'm digressing.

I wanted to say a big thank you for this playlist and all the introductions. Like Lori said, please keep them coming! :D
Muddy boots, eh? Muddy boots would indicate rain. Sounds like heaven!

Thanks, I am thrilled you were able to give a listen. And I also appreciate your notes. I totally assumed every British household comes with a giant framed autographed photo of Elton John!! No? :lol:

Joni Mitchell's album Blue contains some of my most beloved songs, especially River, which about drops me to my knees when I hear it.

Junip's album Fields is very good...

The George songs you mentioned...classics, love them. I think his later radio pop songs were rubbish; but All Things Must Pass in its entirety has so much variety and depth. As for John, he was just an incredible visionary & spoke so many truths with his music. His album "Shaved Fish" is one of my faves. He was just outer limits talented; his death was SO cruel, considering the peaceful way he lived his life. I am sure you felt it to your bones.

We have a ton of albums & I enjoy most all of the songs on many of the old ones (Rolling Stones, Van Morrison, Led Zeppelin, etc.). I have a harder time finding a whole recently released album that I listen to, top to bottom. I tend to get a lot of new songs from Radio Paradise-and (true confession time) I don't always investigate other music from the artist. I am constantly looking for new tunes. I LOVE this segment of the harbour. Can't wait until I have some time to delve further! Thanks again :D

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:57 pm

Listening to 'Fields' as I'm writing this, very pleasant. I've explored both Junip and Wilco, and I find myself connecting to Junip more. I like the feel of their music, the voice of the singer, and the general mood, the gentle 60's feel, yet current. Wilco is a bit more hit and miss for me. Some excellent songs, like the one posted and Lori mentioned, and 'Jesus' I like very much, but the rest hasn't impressed me so much.

It's interesting what you say about how hard it is to find recently released albums that you can really listen to in their entirety without getting bored, or skipping tracks. I agree, but I'd say there are a few: for me Agnes Obel's albums would qualify, as would London Grammar's, Radiohead's latest albums, Bowie's Black Star, Kathryn Williams' last two albums, Woodkid... It really is a huge compliment when you don't feel you need to skip tracks.

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:59 pm

NurseRatched

Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:21 pm

THERE'S MY DARLING!! :D

Now, if he would only tell that David Furnish to sod off so we could run away together....
(I kid, of course; I am not in the habit of longing for senior citizens. :) )

I will check out the music you listed. I hope I can find the full albums on YouTube; that's how I get my cleaning done some days-just put on an old favorite & scrub away the time. My brother was talking about Black Star & I still haven't delved into it-feels heavy & Bowie had just died. Maybe I am ready now. I actually don't really enjoy Wilco; dearest husband likes some of their songs & Black Moon surprised me!

NurseRatched

Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:35 pm

Regarding Junip, it took no time at all for me to fall into their albums. Some tire of the lead singer's voice, but I just love it. I generally prefer bands that have a few people taking the lead to keep it fresh, like Zero 7, Fleetwood Mac, CSNY.

• Information