Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

NurseRatched's Desert Island Discs

Lori
Site Admin

Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:14 am

NurseRatched wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:05 pm
Love this sparse, haunting song about my home state.

So beautiful - and with my girl, Rickie...

NurseRatched

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:39 am

You got it, baby...This song was running through my head on a loop when we were at Mike's parents farm. LAWDY, it's so barren, but still appealing. Makes you want to build a nest with a roaring fire crackling away & just get drunk! LOL :lol:

NurseRatched

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:46 am

Mz. Dee reminded me that I used to have a slight (SLIGHT) obsession with Tom Waits. He is the most unique artist out there. His debut album, Closing Time, is just unbelievable! He was also in one of my favorite movies, Short Cuts, which I cannot find anywhere. Guess I'll have to purchase it at some point...

The lyrics to San Diego Serenade..ugh, just gut-wrenching! Beautiful.

I never saw the mornin' 'til I stayed up all night
I never saw the sunshine 'til you turned out the light
I never saw my hometown until I stayed away too long
I never heard the melody until I needed the song

I never saw the white line 'til I was leavin' you behind
I never knew I needed you until I was caught up in a bind
I never spoke "I love you" 'til I cursed you in vain
I never felt my heart strings until I nearly went insane

I never saw the east coast until I moved to the west
I never saw the moonlight until it shone off of your breast
I never saw your heart until someone tried to steal it, tried to steal it away
I never saw your tears until they rolled down your face

I never saw the mornin' 'til I stayed up all night
I never saw the sunshine 'til you turned out your love light babe
I never saw my hometown until I stayed away too long
I never heard the melody until I needed the song

Lori
Site Admin

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:02 am

Thanks for adding this, NR. I'd not heard this one from our rough-hewn river-deep bard. Pulls at the heart strings.

NurseRatched

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:06 am

:x

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:05 pm

NurseRatched wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:39 am
You got it, baby...This song was running through my head on a loop when we were at Mike's parents farm. LAWDY, it's so barren, but still appealing. Makes you want to build a nest with a roaring fire crackling away & just get drunk! LOL :lol:
I've listened to this a few times this evening...it inexplicably moves me, even without all the shared history. Thank you so much for sharing, NR. I guess I also love the thought of listening to this nestled into some warm blankets by the roaring fire, getting slowly delirious on music, booze and company!

Such lovely lyrics to them Tom Waits song above.

And oh yeah, baby, Radiohead on this Island too!
Not only this song is just pure awesome, but it has led to the discovery that you are a fan of Black Mirror, Mz NR? Which ones are your favourite episodes?

NurseRatched

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:15 am

The song IS pure awesome!!
I am fairly new to Black Mirror, at my son's & my nephew's (Mz Lori's son :) ) suggestion. Time is always working against me when it comes to a series; I immediately bonded with Black Mirror because each episode is its own entity. I don't need to follow plot/characters, etc-I have tried and failed so many times because I may not get back to a show for weeks.

Absolute favorites are White Christmas, The Entire History of You, San Junipero & the last episode I watched---Shut Up and Dance. Shut Up and Dance was so brilliantly paced and acted. And I can't remember my affection/sympathy for a character flipping 360 degrees SO QUICKLY. It's such a smart series. How about you, Dee? Any that I shouldn't miss, since I am new to the show?

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:24 am

I like all the ones you've listed! My absolute favourite is San Junipero, quickly followed by Be Right Back, The Entire History of You and White Christmas. I'd definitely recommend Be Right Back, Hated In The Nation and Fifteen Million Merits. These 6 are the firm family faves. Personally, I loved Nosedive as well, but our household is split on that one.

There is a new season out later this year with six new episodes. We will run discussions on them in TV Addictions! Looking forward to them very much.

NurseRatched

Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:17 pm

Excellent! I look forward to that, too. We will check out the episodes you've suggested. We've already had a bit of snow-so let the nesting begin. I also have the Veronique movie to watch! Thanks, Dee!

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:41 pm

:08:

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:27 pm

A perfect evening in that vintage home with a fire roaring and echoes of laughter and love. Cozy down and enjoy Black Mirror NR. I was turned onto it by you, Dee, and then found out my son was a fan.

BTW - Started watching the new season of Stranger Things and it is a bit annoying in that they have doubled down on the friend stuff (which was wonderful in season 1) to the extent it doesn't serve the entire audience. The 5th episode seems to recover.

NurseRatched

Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:57 pm

Ahh, thanks Lori❤️ The only thing missing in this old house is y'all, to use a Southern term! We've only seen the first episode of Season 2 Stranger Things! I'm not into the groove yet. Will be interested to see what you are talking about....

• Information