Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Billie Eilish

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:57 am

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:07 pm

I was trying to find out a little bit about Billie's parents and her childhood. I was really curious about why she and her brother were homeschooled and what that looked like for them. Here is a little insight on all that from family interviews, from a couple of years ago, when Billie was 15.

Home schooling, the way they did it, (with choir, dance lessons, etc, which have given Billie plenty of chances to be with her peers), that seems like a perfect solution for someone so artistically talented. The parents' support of their children's creativity has been wonderful and massively instrumental in their success, no doubt.

I'm not normally an advocate for home schooling, but must admit, in some cases, it might be the best thing for a child. As long as they don't get isolated and have plenty of opportunities to be around other children.

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:33 am

This is just so fabulous. I love it.*

*I do realise I could introduce every single song of hers with these words. I'm just in complete awe of her (and her brother's) musical world.

Seriously, though.

"When I was older
I was a sailor
On the open sea"

What a brilliant line.

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:31 am

LOVE THIS!! I'm getting a healthy fix of BE while cleaning the kitchen. It somehow makes it a creative and noble process. I have a great memory or two listening to Billie and watching some of her interviews/videos. This girl is the real deal. I hope she can keep it on the tracks and not let her melancholy get the best of her. However, I fear it is her muse. We shall see.

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:13 am

Yes, an hour or so in. Interviews are wonderful. I never poo-poo talent or message due to age. Consider the lessons tiny kiddos teach us. Aren't we constantly trying to come full-circle in a way? Love-love When I Was Older. Love the live performance of Ocean Eyes. I like watching Billie do her song live as it helps me understand the tonality and lyrics better and adds her flavoring. Her personality is also so quirky and interspersed in a fun surprise live.

It seems the parents were highly focused on these kids. I agree home schooling isn't for everyone, yet they've got quite a good handle on the socialization thing here with groups and outings for home schoolers.

Her bond with her brother is priceless. He seems like a hard act to follow. Interesting that dance held such a huge release for Billie - along with horses and photography. What a creative creature she is!

Very enjoyable, all!

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:11 pm

Some of those photographs she took as a child were awesome. Clearly her visual artistic talents were manifesting themselves already. I love how she describes songs born with instant colour hues and shapes and almost as a soundtrack to her future music videos.

"When I was older" is incredible. Each time I hear it I love it more. I'm so glad it has touched you too, Lori. It was inspired by the film "Roma" which I haven't seen yet, but this song is certainly a very good recommendation!

And yes, there is plenty to worry about this young artist, but she has immense talent and strength, a lot of ambition, and a very supportive family. So hopefully, she will be ok. I can't wait to see what she will do next. I'm so happy we are following her journey together, Lori.

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:08 pm

The Lyrics

The Live Performance (with the sweetest ending)

The Music Video (inspired by fan art)

i owe everything to this drawing. a girl gave me this at a show and i don’t exactly remember where or when. i just remember being mesmerized by it. immediately i thought of everything you see in that video. talked to my whole team and explained exactly what i wanted. (THEYRE AMAZING AND DO THE DOPEST SHIT TO HELP TURN MY IDEAS INTO REAL SHIT) i wrote down and drew everything, took a chair and small table to my backyard and had my mom pretend to be me so i could film exactly how i wanted the video to look. every frame, every angle, when and where i wanted it to zoom in and out, what i wanted to wear, exactly how i wanted to pick up and put down the glass. and when i wanted the black to leak from my eyes. (youll see that video one day) sent it to my people who sent it to carlos the director. he made that shit come to life. the shoot day was 12 hours long and we did maybe six full take with the black ink in my eyes..THAT SHIT WAS REALLY IN MY EYES OK THAT WAS VERY VERY REAL. DONT PLAY ME MAN THAT SHIT WAS REAL AND IT STUNG. i hate these long ass captions but i needed to give credit and love to everyone who worked long and hard on this beautiful video. to my brother who wrote this song. and to the kid who drew this. mainly i need to just say... all of your art, makes art. never stop. thank you.

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:53 am

This is Finneas showing us around their tiny and chaotic house and his bedroom where they record everything.

These kids have had an amazing upbringing. They seemed to have just been given all the time and space they needed to grow their wings.

Three pianos in this tiny house where the parents don't even have their own bedroom... wow.

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:25 am

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:17 pm

An amazing cover. I don't even know the original, but it couldn't possibly be any better than this.

These two. I mean. Just how. And how can a teenager sing this song like this.

I might have shed a tear.

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:35 pm

I'm amazed at her heartfelt delivery. I can see why you thought they wrote this song initially as Billie interprets it so intimately.

Dee
Site Admin

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:42 pm

Just a bit of fun. But how she sings 'Creep', I have to adore her just for that! :-D

• Information