Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

How To Play

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:30 am

"What I have to do as a musician is do everything that is not on the music."

~ Evelyn Glennie

Inspired by a wonderful afternoon yesterday watching Evelyn Glennie in conversation and giving a masterclass, I'd love to start this thread to explore what it means to play music, how artists describe their relationship with their instruments and processes. I'm envisaging this thread as a celebration of the wonder of creating music and our favourite musicians.

To start things off, I'd love to share this recent - short but brilliant - documentary on Evelyn, welcoming us into her home that hosts her studio and vast collection of instruments.

It seems to me that her love of sound and music stems from her love and ability to play, to completely immerse herself in a playful exploration.

"Written music is just a map", she said yesterday. What you will create from it depends only partially on your technical capability, but crucially on how much of yourself you can give through playing. It seems all begins with taking the word literally.

Play!

And as we know... a lot of people who make amazing music, don't even start or involve written scores in the process. You don't even need a map. In fact, the more I come to realise, a map should be nothing more than a starting idea when you go on a walk. You don't have to follow it faithfully to have a great experience. And some of the best walks you will do is when you veer off it, or when you have no map at all.

NurseRatched

Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:44 pm

I am hoping to devote some time tomorrow to this thread. I saw it when you first posted, and there is just never enough time in the damn day to play in the Harbour. Looking forward to what this will become :x

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:19 am

That's great, Mz K. You will need half an hour to watch the above. It's a truly inspirational interview for everyone, especially a musician. :58:

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:26 pm

Truly, she is an inspiration. I'm creatively feeling bone-dry at the moment and find myself longing for a sheep farm with a sunset, a grand piano, and a long road no one walks up. Perhaps adobe walls and Navajo rugs... Birdsong. I'm pooped.

Music is her true love...what a talented lady! She renews that internal pulsing and I find myself again wondering how people walk through life without a need for this raining pleasure!

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:07 am

Something sweet to brighten your day. The musicality and emotional connection to a melody in such a tiny little sprite: is a reason why we shouldn't give up on humankind just yet.

This cannot be taught. You're either born with it or you ain't.

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:20 am

Love me some little Claire Ryan Crosby! Her tiny emoting face is so adorable. (She looks like my daughter-in-law did when she was little.) She does embody a pure musical flow. Little honey. You can't teach that, but it is obvious she is deeply in a caring family fold (I would wish this for every child)....so sweet, particularly near the end:

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:21 pm

What a beautiful, loving family. The children are so secure in their parents' love. And how Claire and her little brother adore each other. "Don't worry about us, we'll be fine." Aw. 😍

• Information