Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Songs About The Sea Challenge!

Moonchime

Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:54 am

OK so Mz Dee told me about this challenge on Thursday and I thought I might swim round and have a dabble.

NR my favourite of your selection is the Southern Cross - but I also quite like the Sailor Song that you managed to get in before Lori swam over (I like your style mermaid and of course the other lovely mermaid has small people to think about!!!).
It was really lovely to read about your past connections with "Yellow Submarine" it makes it so much more personal and special. The people you were with sounded like an interesting bunch - political canvassers eh? Great that you're all still in touch. I wonder where their politics have taken them now.

Funnily enough I'm not keen on Yellow Submarine - it sort of gets on my nerves although I can run with it for a while and your connections make it more endearing!!!
Great that the film can still calm your boys. You know I don't think I've ever watched it!!

Dee wrote:
Beyond the Sea' is such a pretty song, isn't it? I like the oldies singing them, but Robbie's rendition is by far my favourite. I think that also relates to the fact it was used in the soundtrack to 'Finding Nemo' which was a huge fave with both of my kids. To the extent that just last year my then 18 year old daughter insisted we should watch 'Finding Dory' together.
I love Beyond the Sea but I have to admit that I think my favourite is Bobby Darin's version but I like the Robbie Williams as well. I would have included it in my selection but you beat me to it. My swimming is just too slow.
I love that it has the associations of Finding Nemo with your family: how lovely that Nati still loves to watch it!
You also beat me to it with Otis Redding "Sitting on the dock of the Bay" - which I think is a great song - even if when we sang it at choir I found the lyrics rather downbeat! :72:

I really like the Seth Lakeman and found the "Crawled Out of the Sea" hilarious!!!!

So here I go: This song is embedded in my childhood psyche.

I was going to post the Wings version but I thought this was a bit different - if I haven't broken the rules.

An extract to keep it short.

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:35 am

May we just throw a quick party first to celebrate Mz Moonchime coming to play in the Music Sandpit! Oh yeah!

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:47 am

Thanks for these new tunes... I didn't think of the Beach Boys' track, neither to include classical music... great! Mull of Kintyre falls into Yellow Submarine category for me, I'm afraid, so it was nice to hear an instrumental version! :57:

The other two songs I didn't know! Some fun little harmonies in the Nina and Frederik duet, and I love all the latin percussion coming in with Frederik. So this is a childhood memory for you, MC? Would you care to elaborate?

Thanks so much for your choices! Our Harbour certainly needs some Sea Tunes, right?

Here is another pretty folk tune suggested by a friend I've mentioned our challenge to:

And here is one of Will's choices (the only one I know so far):

NurseRatched

Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:01 am

Ok, I have to come back in here later (chores are calling!) but I'm excited to hear the new additions! Plus, we can all agree that "Finding Nemo" is one of the finest movies ever. If anyone is interested, take a peek at this clip on the making of the movie. Pixar would be an amazing place to work!

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:49 pm

Oh that's great, NR, I will watch it later! :x

I've come bearing more songs of the sea, having had a lovely weekend with our friends. I will post some of the best choices.

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:58 pm

PIRATES!!!

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:05 pm

This is pretty cool stuff, no?

Moonchime

Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:42 am

Yeah I really like Between the Saltmarsh and the Sea - good find Dee.

NR I think Pixar or Dreamworks could be cool places to work eh? The genius of all the best "children's" films are the multi-layers they include don't you think? I remember wondering how amazing it was that so many adult themes can be slipped in without the chidren taking too much notice - including very clear references to the AA and the twelve step programme. I haven't watched all of the video yet - doing it in bits!!
1 :57:

Now I do agree Dee that Mull of Kintyre can also be a bit of a drone, but I got the impression that we were just gathering evidence rather than stating firm favourites - especially as you pinched some of mine! :08:
So this is a childhood memory for you, MC? Would you care to elaborate?
We used to have a big gramophone in our living room and my mum loved to play all her favourite music on it at the weekends and holidays while she was busy cooking; she loved all the Hollywood musicals and Nina and Frederic and I grew very familiar with all their work; the one I posted seemed to have particular relevance as we lived by the sea and I love some of the lyrics - I can always hear the sound of the shells (pebbles in our case) rustling together.

Returning to the subject of Scotland though - I do think this has such drama in it and history. Skye is such a wild beautiful landscape.

On the other hand I was tempted to post this just because it is so traditionally British and shows the beginning of the sun,sea and sand holiday!!! The recording is awful to listen to because it's over a hundred years old but you could turn the sound down once after a quick listen!!!! :57:

Dee
Site Admin

Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:18 am

I got the impression that we were just gathering evidence rather than stating firm favourites
:57: :57: :57:

Welcome to our dilemma for the challenge! :57:

But in the end we have all ended up chosing stuff we loved.
(As we the plan was to listen to them all together, in their entirety! So no one wanted to punish themselves! :P )

We used to have a big gramophone in our living room and my mum loved to play all her favourite music on it at the weekends and holidays while she was busy cooking; she loved all the Hollywood musicals and Nina and Frederic and I grew very familiar with all their work; the one I posted seemed to have particular relevance as we lived by the sea and I love some of the lyrics - I can always hear the sound of the shells (pebbles in our case) rustling together.

I love this so much, MC. What a gift music can become of beautiful memories... This is so lovely, and it warms my heart to imagine you as a little girl listening to this music, as your mum was cooking and perhaps twirling round a little in the kitchen, singing along to her favourites.

I've not heard Ella Roberts' rendition of Skye Boat Song before (goodness, there are so many recordings of this gorgeous tune!), it's beautifully done.

Fun to watch all the photographs rolling for 'I do like to be beside the seaside' - there are some real gems in there!

(Suddenly I'm thinking we should have a 'Sea' themed photography collection! What do you all say?)

The song? It's so nostalgic and part of culture, it's impossible not to love, but truly, it's just terrible, isn't it? :57:

Dee
Site Admin

Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:26 am

One of our task-setter's choices:

NurseRatched

Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:10 am

Love the Morcheeba! We played that album to death. I kind of fell off of them when they got a new singer.

I'm frustrated that I don't have the time to listen to these songs right now! But a sea-themed photo thread is a giant yes! I'll make it back in here soon!πŸ˜©πŸŽƒπŸ‘»πŸ˜©

• Information