Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Turn Off the Shuffle--Albums, from beginning to end

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:33 pm

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:35 pm

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:37 pm

NurseRatched

Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:18 pm

STICKY FINGERS! 100% yes. Not one skipper on that album, although I don't love Sister Morphine. Harvest is another masterful album, and yes we went down that dusty road..Pure nostalgia and still holds up BTE, in my eyes.

I almost put that Gorillaz album on! It's so amazing. I have not listened to all Agnes's albums in their entirety. I knew you'd add Moon Shaped Pool... :72: Wish You Were Here-so emotional and impressive-love love love. It will be a treat to get a big list going, because I do love to just put on a whole album & do whatever boring chore that I've been ignoring.

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:05 am

It will be a treat to get a big list going, because I do love to just put on a whole album & do whatever boring chore that I've been ignoring.

Is that what we are doing? In that case let me get these ones in quick :57: ...

Debut, Post, Vespertine, Biophilia.

:P :P :P :P

My husband is shaking his head here, saying I cannot be serious, putting on not even just the one but FOUR Björk albums. "BTE? You can't listen to a single track on those albums, they're a bloody row." He likes the game though, and started thinking about it. Besides the three Pink Floyd albums already up here he'd choose '17 Seconds' by the Cure, and 'Heaven or Las Vegas' by The Cocteau Twins. Great choices, though I don't choose to put these albums on myself. I don't mind though when he does.

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:17 am

Joint choice with husband. :08:

Although, he skips 'Baby Genius', I've pointed out. He put his hands up laughing and said "How do you remember all this shit, you're such a freak." I guess after thirty years you need to find new ways to tell your wife how much you love her? :039:

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:05 pm

Gorgeous collaboration/fusion album. We have loved the hell out of this cd, as a family.

NurseRatched

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:00 am

I don't think you're really a teacher; I think you're on Bjork's marketing team :72: :57: :72: Freak or not, you're all ours! :lol:

I love that Will poked his nose in, because Mike did the same thing :035: (I am with him on The Cure, for sure, but I haven't listened to the whole album. I am OBSESSED with "The Forest", tho...if that counts.) I wanted to add The Church "Starfish", but Mike favors "Seance", which is scattered with weak tracks (travel by thought drives me insane), IN my opinion. But I do have a soft spot for it anyway.

Curious that you don't have OK, Computer; wondering your thoughts on it? I've seen it on many other lists of BTE albums....

continuing on...From the way back machine...

The Beatles:
On any given day, I could put on Let It Be, Revolver or Sgt. Pepper and be perfectly content.

Zero 7-Simple Things and When It Falls. Both are equally stellar; love the mixture of vocalists on the albums (Sia is one of them).

Going to have to try Animals (I know, how could I have NOT listened to that one?) & 1 Giant Leap...curious about an album your whole family loves....

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:21 pm

'A Forest'... is incredible, I couldn't agree more. I think I will probably have to add it to my DIDs! I could just listen to it on repeat for an hour at a time, easily.

I love both The Smith and Peter Gabriel, have many favourite tracks, but I'm not sure I could handle a full album by either. I'll try though. I've got "Meat Is Murder" on right now.

I have so many black spots too... I will need to check out 'The Church' and 'Zero 7' it seems.

The Beatles is pure nostalgia and I can usually be easily persuaded. :08:
Spoiler:
Whoops, I've just pressed skip half way through "What She Said" without thinking, so I guess we have an answer to 'Meat Is Murder', lol.
OK Computer... I know many consider it to be Radiohead's best album, my husband certainly does. I love it to the moon and back, it has so many of my favourite songs on it, but I almost never listen to it in its entirety. Neither does he. We both skip. Funnily enough he skips more than I do.
(I normally skip Airbag straight off and when I skip Fitter, Happier, - because doesn't everyone? - I usually skip Electioneering with it. And I don't always have the patience for Paranoid Android, even though I think it's brilliant. ~ From the Confessions of a Devoted Radiohead Fan :P )

Now you're having similar discussions with your husband about The Church, this is an interesting thing: Sometimes a favourite album might not necessarily be a BTE, it might have some weaker tracks, but you'd still love it most, for the songs you actually love on it. I think, for me a favourite album needs to be something I can love and enjoy in its entirety. Like you've said before, about vinyls. Everything is important, the order of the songs is important. It's a journey. It has a flavour. A mood. A colour. An aura. A weak or annoying track can break that. Funnily enough, there are quite a few albums like that, with just the odd song that you wish wasn't there, right? :57:

NurseRatched

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:06 am

Sometimes a favourite album might not necessarily be a BTE, it might have some weaker tracks, but you'd still love it most, for the songs you actually love on it. I think, for me a favourite album needs to be something I can love and enjoy in its entirety. Like you've said before, about vinyls. Everything is important, the order of the songs is important. It's a journey. It has a flavour. A mood. A colour. An aura. A weak or annoying track can break that. Funnily enough, there are quite a few albums like that, with just the odd song that you wish wasn't there, right? :57
You've described it very well. SO many albums with 1 or 2 songs that annoy or don't seem to fit. It is a rarity to be able to consume an album start to finish. Remarkable when artists like Pink Floyd or more recently, London Grammar, can deliver multiple albums that indulge and gratify to the end.

1 Giant Leap is fabulous! Dance electronica tribal fusion with some of my favorite musicians (Michael Franti and Michael Stipe). What a find! Have you seen this? I'm ultra curious and plan to hunt it down!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0312296/

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:55 am

Yay! You're discovering 1 Giant Leap! I've posted the film here, in the last post:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=126

:x

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:02 pm

My kingdom for an occupation that allows me to listen to music while I work. I'm going to delve for sure. No offense, Mz. D - Bjork on repeat just cannot be done for me personally...I've tried for you...just because. I've got to high five Will on this one! :57: London Grammar - a big fat YES!!! Of course Agnes Obel (Thanks for the intro, Dee.) Pink Floyd is a lovely walk down memory lane. I was in on a listening party of "The Dark Side of the Moon" in its entirety on a sound system that made me cry with a single note, it was so rich (literally...I'll never own such a system). This was purely while drinking water and breathing fresh air, folks. I listened to the entire Peter Gabriel album "So" over and over while painting the inside of one of our houses and bonded big time. I will add "Bloodletting" Concrete Blond as a nearly full album ride.

There is some new stuff here for me, so I'm excited!!! Perhaps "A Forest" will be my first dive into The Cure. That was more background music for me in the 80's and I didn't really delve into complete albums. Hugs to you "freaks". Husbands are so romantic sometimes.

• Information