Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Song Of The Day

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:00 pm

Stirring music… makes me very curious about what scene it accompanied. I’m two seasons behind… must make time to catch up.

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:09 pm

Well, damn. Not really a fan of either Beyoncé or country music but I really like this! So ridiculously catchy. There appears to be so much controversy - but why shouldn’t Beyoncé do some country music? If it’s as good as this?

Lori
Site Admin

Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:24 pm

Yes, Mz. B can do anything she wants and actually she may shine a light on country music to its benefit.

I believe the objection is many believe she has done a parody of country music nearly to the point of making fun of it and she lacks authenticity. There is a lot of crap in country music and she probably will do more good than harm. It is futile to object at this point, in my opinion.

The purists historically have tried to keep country music true to its roots and it does have some very deep roots in Americana. This has been an ongoing fight within the genre for decades. Artists like Keith Urban, from Australia, have done extremely well and broadened the genre, but his work among purists is really considered pop music done with an artificially-acquired southern twang (accent). Keith is an incredible musician and has a deep respect for the genre which helps greatly.

Shania Twain, from Canada, was another artist who received a cold shoulder in the industry where it seemed a failed pop star tried to retrofit her repertoire as country when it was not. She had a lot of success in the industry but had to fight for respect as she was viewed as an imposter. She is a fantastic songwriter, in my opinion.

It's so funny, but having lived in the south in America for decades I really cringe when an actor or actress does a southern accent and I know how poorly it is being delivered.

Now, Beyonce has a history in gospel music which is a bedfellow of country music. She can do what she damn well pleases, regardless, and people can enjoy her all they want. That is the nature of entertainment. Music belongs to everybody, though country music isn't the only genre rejecting "interlopers" based on external factors.

I believe the other objection is the huge money machine she brings with her and the domination of the music airwaves. Charting at #1 was a foregone conclusion due to the huge resources she has in the industry. Her financial backing predetermined without question anything she did would boot (pun intended) the current acts enjoying some success on the radio and charting (which means real income) out or at the very least stunt their chart position. That is big business and, of course, the music business is just that. However, country music is a small town.

Ultimately, she will be embraced by the masses and lauded by the starry-eyed money men of the industry and the pop-related crossover fans, as well as the successful generous artists who've already made their mark and view country music as a big umbrella. Over the decades, it has lost its identity and morphed into many varied avenues.

I am not hugely into country music either, but have a deeper respect for it now as I understand its roots. I've fallen a bit in love with its pioneers, and the mountain in their makeup and the stories of generations in their voices. The Mother of Country Music, Maybelle Carter, is buried about four blocks from my house next to Johnny Cash.

This is a fantastic documentary about the influences and beginnings of this genre.

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:51 am

Very informative post Lori, thanks. Thank you for your insight into the country music industry, and music industry in general. That documentary sounds very interesting. See if I can access it on some other platform.

I’ve never heard of Keith Urban before, I’m just listening to his greatest hits on Spotify - I’d have never thought of this music as country. It doesn’t really “speak” to me. But Shania Twain I really like. Country Roads is one of my favourite songs, and Jolene. I love the uplifting nature of done country songs, the rich harmonies. I like the ballads. So I’m definitely closed off from the genre. And regarding rigid lines and boundaries of genre / I’m certainly not a purist. I love all the fusion and experimentation that goes on in music - if it’s done well. Music - like all art forms - must evolve.

So, Mz Lori, you’ve avoided declaring what you think of Texas Hold’em? :039:

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:40 pm

Well, I get the draw but for some reason I am sooo very bugged by the "WOO!"s, etc., and the abrupt use of the phrase "don't be a bitch" (though you know I am not a prude) and the reference to tornados - "this shit ain't pretty". Nope - so contrived and bulky.

I don't hate the melody or the upbeat bent, but it's a no for me mostly for the lyrics and the annoying WOO's!

:25:

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:17 am

Lol, that’s exactly what I’ve read between the lines!

I totally agree on the woos - rather annoying. Reminds me of Upside Funk - :57: where it also gets annoying.

I’m getting over the song lol!

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:24 am

And now to something completely different. What do we think of the two new songs released of St Vincent’s upcoming album?

She’s one of the most fascinating artists of our time, I think. I’ve never really fully explored her back catalogue / it’s no easy listening for sure. But I probably should delve in at some point. I really like these two new tracks. What say you, Mz Lori?

• Information