Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Joaquin Sorolla y Bastida

Lori
Site Admin

Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:27 am

Isn't he extremely wonderful? I've seen his work before in small doses but never in this grand mass of wonder! I love his take on impressionism where it flows so freely and he incorporates so many natural elements, not just fields and flora (though his landscapes are beyond fresh and gorgeous). His fabrics in the wind...the skin...I'm in love-love. The Italian Girl With Flowers...sigh. Each piece uses light and color fantastically. I agree certain pieces look out of place regarding style. I assume he did some portraiture within the boundaries of the day and age. It's obvious this talented man could paint in any style he chose.

I am with you all ~ these pieces invoke so much happiness. They are deeply cathartic!

Thank you, Mz. K!!! I'm going to bask!

Moonchime

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:39 am

I am so glad I am not alone in finding his work so uplifting; undoubtedly he earned money from portraiture and recording the people and culture of Spain for a commission from America (yes it would seem our friends across the pond were more appreciative) and he does have some paintings which are social comments, but I think he does light, water, and togetherness best.

I am sad I did not know of him earlier Lori - you are ahead of many of us.

Apparently his portrait of President Taft was a sign of having "made it" but I like some of his others better.

DF - I do love the fabric on the sleeves of Princess Beatrice and she has a rather lovely face I think. :72:

Clotilde (his wife) and Elena ( youngest daughter) on the rocks.

Clotilde on the Beach

Clotilde

Mother

This one was amazing in reality but reproductions just don't do it justice.

Dee
Site Admin

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:25 pm

"I think he does light, water, and togetherness best."
I think that is just the perfect summary, Moonchime. What gorgeous new additions! All this white makes my heart sing. Especially that little bundle of joy tucked into her mom's bed. They are not touching, yet the "togetherness" is just oozing out of the painting, and quite frankly, if I could have another baby, I so would, just looking at this picture. Sweet memories. This guy can bring nostalgia like no one else.

I have never seen a painting like it. Two small heads in a vast whiteness. Her little golden face. And you can practically feel the softness of the duvet. Smell the sun-dried freshness of the covers. I love it.

Lori
Site Admin

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:23 am

I'm so impressed with Joaquin. Lovely work. The mama and bebe? Ahhh-me...

Moonchime

Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:15 am

I just felt like I needed some fresh air!!

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:11 pm

Oh, no kidding, you can literally breathe these paintings in, and feel the sunlight on your skin. Totally immersive. Just wonderful. I'd love to just walk into every single one of them.
Thanks for postin', MC. :x

NurseRatched

Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:28 am

I've wandered in here this AM & so thankful you've been posting again in this thread because, wow! I'll just add my admiration for the artist's mastery of capturing sunlight in all its forms. The shadows, reflections, beams of brilliance on sea and land are phenomenal!!

Dee:
I love 'Sewing the sail'. Makes me feel so happy, this sunbathed veranda full of flowers and carefree people enjoying a chatter whilst working.
The picture literally makes you want to crawl into it, grab a needle and join in!

I would have to agree, Dee. Not sure I could choose a favorite, but this one is tops. I also wish I could get a closer view of "Mother", MC; your statement piques my interest & now I need to see it in person! Thanks for the journey; it's already a treasure to me. :x

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:07 am

The Little Granddaughter, 1908

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:12 am

Summer, 1904

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:41 am

It's always a surprise to see a painting of his depicting a woman dressed in black, but this is really quite beautiful.

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:49 am

Sad Inheritence, 1900

Showing a couple of children at the forefront, afflicted by the recent polio epidemic in Valencia.

• Information