Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Dorothea Tanning

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:08 am

Much of her work makes me feel like I am in a nightmare which I can't see a way out of. That's not to say some of them don't fascinate me, but I don't think I could have one on my wall because I would feel like I was not alone.

I see what you mean, Moonchime. Though, for me, the paintings are about conquering these nightmares. The "way out" is facing them, and for her facing them meant painting them. Owing the nightmares. Letting them educate as much as possible, acknowledging the fears behind nightmares.

Would I want to put these pictures on my wall? No. Way more likely to pick her flower paintings. Beauty and serenity. Though I must admit I'm very partial to the girls with the sunflower. Also love the one when they're ripping off the wallpaper. I love the primal energy, the fearlessness of it. I would also happily hang 'Tango Lives' in my home. :72:

I loved your reasoning though for choosing pictures for your home. You wouldn't want a picture that makes you feel you're not alone. Turning it round, you want pictures that allow you to feel alone. I'm deducing from that, that it's not solitude you're craving but you don't want a sense of intrusion, you want your calm and serenity unchallenged by images displayed in your home. I totally get that. There are enough challenges in our lives day in day out. Images are so powerful. Why surround ourselves with images that make us feel on the edge? Don't feel enough on the edge as it is? Shouldn't we seek out what soothes when it comes to our place of retreat?

Or are we just shying away from challenges? :57:

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:19 am

Oh and I really like the photos - particularly the one of the her and Max with his sculpture. :72:
It's great, isn't it? I'm fascinated by this love story. I'd love to find out more.

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:23 am

Really love the soft sculptures. So expressive. And what a refreshing idea to create them from soft materials as opposed to the good old standard hard stuff going back thousands of years. You mentioned a quote, MC, Dorothea talking about the qualities of the materials, could you please bring it over here?

• Information