Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Short Poems from a Metaphor

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:57 pm

Dee wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:15 pm

nostalgia
is a slice of
freshly baked
crusty bread
with lavishly spread butter
and golden acacia honey
that slips from your hand
to the cold unswept floor

~ap
So much said in so few lines. Lines full of burgeoning wonderful - perhaps of what should have been. It touched the senses completely. Then the abrupt awakening to reality. Very interesting this friend of yours who loves the past and seems to defer to then rather than now. If I had to choose, I suppose I would opt for living in and loving the moment - particularly if it is one that was created by self rather than forged unsatiatingly by others. Well done, Mz. A...

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:59 pm

Dee wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:01 pm
an island
is a soft pillow
where you lay your head
to shut out the world
and dream of eagles
and mermaids

~ ap
Deep sighs, PIC...

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:11 pm

Iris wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:06 am
Safety

Safety is a lion at your heart-gate
A confined space where
Thoughts can’t run wild
Where bears flit between
Growling at dementors and
Caressing your soul
I find it fascinating the first of the three writings, which seem to speak to each other and reflect the human condition so well, uses the most fierce of the animal kingdom guard and soothe.
Iris wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:42 am
Fear

Fear is a whipping blade
A snake rattling cages
Cannibals nibbling
Nettles teased over eyes
Fear is more fatal than death
Amazing descriptive spear straight to the fearful heart and dark night moments that somehow in the light of day we walk over quicker like hot coals. Really potent, Mz. I!

Iris wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:55 am

Comfort

Comfort is the familiar dip in the bed
Or when Italy meets France in
Gruyered macaroni
Sometimes it’s just knowing
Without expectation

This is wonderful and surprising. Love the entire thing, and smiled at the country/food reference - parfait! I feel better :039: Really a smart and layered triad!

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:17 pm

overwhelm
is the leash that drags you
water in hand
joy left withering
ripped from escape
back to the dog that bit you

~sl

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:19 pm

peace
is a lacey eyelash
on a cheek of cream
dreams a budding
gently soldering
a filigree heart

~sl

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:33 pm

Lori wrote:
overwhelm
water in hand
joy left withering
ripped from escape

~sl
Oh!!!
This kinda hit me with a strong punch, Mz S - so perfectly depicting that feeling when you just want to sit with your head between your knees. That feeling of being dragged back to deal with something you really don’t want to deal with. The leash digging into your skin as you strain against it trying to get away from it all. The real surprise part was the water in hand - loved that. To me it means there is something at your disposal that could help to calm things, a glass of soothing water, but there’s no time to drink it, being dragged back to the experience of too much - and dragged back quite violently too, whilst trying to not spill the water - adding even more pressure. Oooh, Mz S, this is too damn good. So very well captured!

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:42 pm

Lori wrote:
peace
is a lacey eyelash
on a cheek of cream
dreams a budding
gently soldering
a filigree heart

~sl
I see a sleeping little child…
How wonderful it is to watch a child sleep!

dreams a budding
gently soldering
a filigree heart

What wonderful imagery! Very special, Pic.

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:23 pm

Thanks for your thoughts and kind appreciation of ‘Nostalgia’, Pic.

Very interesting this friend of yours who loves the past and seems to defer to then rather than now. If I had to choose, I suppose I would opt for living in and loving the moment - particularly if it is one that was created by self rather than forged unsatiatingly by others.

Yes. Me too. Absolutely. But I realise that not everyone feels this way. And some people have been dealt really shitty things that make their present lives difficult and unhappy. He’s one of those people who was happiest as a child. So he turns to those years for comfort, and trying to recreate something that in any way resembles the past. Of course the harder you try, the more you’ll drop the bread onto the floor and the messier it gets. He lives for those gatherings of old classmates, school friends. There was one just a couple of weeks ago. He wanted me to go so much. And wild horses couldn’t have dragged me there. The last place on Earth I’d have wanted to be. Of course I had the best excuse being on Mull. But this time, his honey bread dropped too, and came away disappointed- disillusioned even, that this thing doesn’t mean as much to others as it does to him. I felt very sorry for him.

Iris

Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:50 am

Lori wrote:
overwhelm
water in hand
joy left withering
ripped from escape

~sl
Goodness, this is so powerful; I feel harnessed by that leash just reading it. The inescapability of being dragged back to whatever that metaphorical (I presume) dog represents, delivers hopelessness and terror.

I wasn't sure what the water in hand represented - perhaps that even though you are satisfying your thirst at the time, there's no notion of waiting for you to finish and replenish, that overwhelm takes over and will not hold off?

My favourite line is "ripped from escape."

Fabulously terrifying, Mz Lori!

Iris

Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:57 am

Lori wrote:
peace
is a lacey eyelash
on a cheek of cream
dreams a budding
gently soldering
a filigree heart

~sl
I love, love, LOVE this! Exquisitely tender and touching. I actually don't want to pull it apart analytically as it's perfect in its wholeness. If I have to pick out anything it would be the first two lines which are genius in setting the gentle, evocative tone of peace and innocence.

I feel I've been caressed with the softest of brushes. Thank you so much, Mz Lori. :x

Iris

Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:27 am

Thank you, Mz D and Mz L for your kind feedback.

Mz Dee, I feel very much that, as an adult, feeling unsafe is mainly to do with what is going on in one's head rather than to do with physical danger. Does this mean we are more at danger from our own thoughts than the reality of what's occurring? Back to living in the moment . . . much safer.

Glad you liked the bear showing the two sides of its nature, both fierce and gentle.
Just like good friends :72:

Interesting that you thought of the pieces at triplets, Mz L, as I wrote them in quite quick succession and felt they all needed each other.

Oh it's so good to be back in the Harbour frolicking with Sirens.

Iris

Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:28 am

I've had a very poignant experience with a poorly friend this afternoon which has rather overwhelmed me and prompted this. I'm not happy with the last two lines; advice welcome :x

Friendship

Friendship is a swinging bundle of loveliness
Words drifting through dappled glow
Flittering around flighty foxgloves
Tales of lightly salted blackberries
Souls swaddled in
Lyrical alliance

• Information