Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

The Way You See It

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:34 am

Regarding the capitalisation of the first person pronoun in English, here is an excerpt from an article in the New York Times on the subject:

Why do we capitalize the word “I”? There’s no grammatical reason for doing so, and oddly enough, the majuscule “I” appears only in English.

Consider other languages: some, like Hebrew, Arabic and Devanagari-Hindi, have no capitalized letters, and others, like Japanese, make it possible to drop pronouns altogether. [Hungarian too, by the way.]The supposedly snobbish French leave all personal pronouns in the unassuming lowercase, and Germans respectfully capitalize the formal form of “you” and even, occasionally, the informal form of “you,” but would never capitalize “I.” Yet in English, the solitary “I” towers above “he,” “she,” “it” and the royal “we.”

England is where the capital “I” first reared its dotless head. In Old and Middle English, when “I” was still “ic,” “ich” or some variation thereof — before phonetic changes in the spoken language led to a stripped-down written form — the first-person pronoun was not majuscule in most cases. The generally accepted linguistic explanation for the capital “I” is that it could not stand alone, uncapitalized, as a single letter, which allows for the possibility that early manuscripts and typography played a major role in shaping the national character of English-speaking countries.

“Graphically, single letters are a problem,” says Charles Bigelow, a type historian and a designer of the Lucida and Wingdings font families. “They look like they broke off from a word or got lost or had some other accident.” When “I” shrunk to a single letter, Bigelow explains, “one little letter had to represent an important word, but it was too wimpy, graphically speaking, to carry the semantic burden, so the scribes made it bigger, which means taller, which means equivalent to a capital.”

The growing “I” became prevalent in the 13th and 14th centuries, with a Geoffrey Chaucer manuscript of “The Canterbury Tales” among the first evidence of this grammatical shift. Initially, distinctions were made between graphic marks denoting an “I” at the beginning of a sentence versus a midphrase first-person pronoun. Yet these variations eventually fell by the wayside, leaving us with our all-purpose capital “I,” a potent change apparently made for simplicity’s sake.

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/maga ... ire-t.html

So there we have it! Apparently it looks better, and it also carries some sense of self-importance on behalf of the writer. I personally prefer the look of i as it allows the self to have a head, :57: , it looks cuter and more cheerful, and it blends in with everything else without trying to feel more important!

Funnily enough in Hungarian we'd often capitalise the pronoun 'you' in cards and letters. That actually feels nice.

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:49 am

For me, the saddest thing is how the view of the pandemic, the attitudes to the vaccinations, the diversity of rules internationally have caused huge rifts between families, friends, communities and nations. Lots of quelling of anger and soothing of high emotions needs to be actioned before the world can heal.

So true, Mz Iris, so true. Human nature is such a complicated beast. Hard as we try to tame it by mindfulness, religions and education, or regulate it by laws... humans on the whole remain a very mixed bag of wonderful and beast.

There might be some progress we have made as humanity over the centuries, but the relapses are always such sobering experiences of the complexity of human nature.

• Information