Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Fairy Tales

Moonchime

Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:30 am

That is truly beautiful Dee with such a sense of flowing lyricism; it makes me feel hushed and peaceful as if I'm watching a silent love story.

I particularly like the last line as well - such a wonderful conclusion to the gentility of the piece - and so the circle is complete and all needs are met.

It is quite different to my piece about the ideal partner, which although it was a diary entry was much more of list of attributes of the sort that one might put on a dating website!!! :57:

Yours is full of romance.

Thank you Lori for posting the little Russian animation - I'm so glad you liked it.

I have finished the course now which is why I haven't been in the harbour of late - there's only so much I'm capable of...

I really enjoyed lots of it but I do agree Lori that there were a couple of sections early on which seemed to be repeating (can't remember now which they were now) - but on the whole I got a lot from it although the Blue Beard section is certainly different!!!!

I love both yours and Agi's pictures of the beast - I got carried away in thinking what type of beast would be truly difficult to connect with and didn't attempt to go down your poetic avenues.

I'll await the next assignment pieces with excited anticipation!!! :72:

Lori
Site Admin

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:41 pm

I agree with Mz. K, that was a beautiful peaceful peek into your "ideal partner". A simple yet full life with a man and those little loving traditions such as lifting the hand. I loved that. I loved it all really with the weaving of a warm oasis filled with mutual enjoyment and separateness at the same time. My guess is someone already gets a lesson or two on bird songs while on walks... Very beautiful, PIC.

I've had a horribly busy week and had to step back from the course but plan on diving in for the final story - intrigued further now with the light warning Mz. K! Not a lighthearted fairy tale in the least. I also will look forward to you posting your diary entry here...is it a scroll-length list? Ha! Somehow I doubt it.

Lori
Site Admin

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:55 pm

My diary entry:

I am wondering who you would be, ideal partner. How would you top the "best of the best" who has that good, good heart, humor to the moon and back, caring beyond compare, a kaleidoscope mind that never fails to fill these days with crazy wonder, that sculpted lower lip and those beautiful musical hands? Would you have the same courage and confidence in the storm of life as he? And would you have the wonderful playfulness required to ignore the storm? I would not box you in and define your parameters to an ideal, though some of the above would be very nice, knowing you are unique and wonderfully made - something unopened and unexplored as of yet by me.

Lori
Site Admin

Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:42 am

Guess what? I didn't want to do this assignment either. LOL!!

The rewritten story:

She fell against the door, closing her eyes and catching her breath. Was he really capable of such horror? Why had he nearly forced her hand to turn the key and grasp the latch, knowing what she would discover?

The plain pasty face. Those beady eyes layers and layers behind the thick glass watching her every move. Her brain rejected this blunt end. Wasn’t he a grand philanthropist? Didn’t he strive to solve insurmountable global problems with his fortunes and time? The hero’s heart, they said, and the jet-set playground would in time compensate for the affront to the senses. She shuddered recalling his sweaty red thistle head burrowing against her beating heart and those clumsy hands on her young skin – the same hands that showed no mercy as they ended her delicate and beautiful predecessors. These brides who were bid a mean adieu lay scattered before her now in varying degrees of miserable decay.

Is this the heavy price I pay for my insatiable spirit? Truly, the gilded cage in which I’ve lain has been a trap from the words “I do.”

Now, the sister to a very insatiable spirit is often a very crafty mind. Bolstering her resolve and holding her nose, she carefully fashioned a pile from a faded dress here and a sweater there, and finally topped it all with her own brightly-flowered shawl fluffing and arranging until it seemed to the naked eye to be her pitiful body prostrate on the floor, her back to the open door. Surely his weak eyes would not register this deception.

She then stepped gingerly out of the dark chamber and slipped into the shadows just outside the door, hearing above her the footfall of her gruesome groom. Such a pitiful wailing did she emit, crying as if her heart had broken and her mind had found flight. Down the winding stairs quietly slithered her murderous mate, his pale face alive with macabre anticipation and a glint of sharp silver in his hand. He silently rushed past her hiding place into the dankness beyond the entry, intent to sever her spine and pierce her heart. So rapt was he on his malicious mission, he nary heard the door behind him shut and the beguiling key turn the bolt.

Moonchime

Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:31 am

Lori wrote:
My diary entry:

I would not box you in and define your parameters to an ideal, though some of the above would be very nice, knowing you are unique and wonderfully made - something unopened and unexplored as of yet by me.

A clever, charming piece Lori, which clearly shines a light on the joy of what you know already and perhaps could not be omitted from the ideal partner without a sense of loss (even if it is an oxymoron).

Boxing and defining might indeed not leave enough space for the wonders of the unknown magic that might take us by surprise. As it is though, there seems to me more than sufficient contentment in the "best of the best" and the "kaleidoscope mind," or an "ideal" right in front of you.
A good heart and great humour go a long way methinks.

A heart - warming piece.

I love the mention of the musical hands - how do you see these?

Moonchime

Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:49 am

Lori wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:42 am
Guess what? I didn't want to do this assignment either. LOL!!

The rewritten story:

The plain pasty face. Those beady eyes layers and layers behind the thick glass watching her every move. Her brain rejected this blunt end. Wasn’t he a grand philanthropist? Didn’t he strive to solve insurmountable global problems with his fortunes and time? The hero’s heart, they said, and the jet-set playground would in time compensate for the affront to the senses. She shuddered recalling his sweaty red thistle head burrowing against her beating heart
Oh such gory fun Ms Lori - you had my skin crawling at the sweaty thistle head!!
And those beady eyes behind such thick glass - perfect for assuming a pile of clothes to be the body of a woman!

I like the fact that he was supposed to have a hero's heart as a slight nod in attraction to compensate for the "affront to the senses." I wondered exactly what this affront might be - the thick glasses? the bristly hair? Oh definitely the pasty face - or perhaps most of all the "clumsy hands against her young skin." Arrrrgh!!

What's more she is a clever little minx as you neatly put it "Now, the sister to a very insatiable spirit is often a very crafty mind" ah ha - so now we see she has a plan and a cunning one to boot; no- one saves her; no wonderful brothers; she does it all on her own.

A most enjoyable read Lori with some very effective description and an approach which I think would definitely appeal to more modern audiences. :08:

Moonchime

Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:07 am

Well I was a little unsure as to exactly how they wanted us to re-write the story especially as it seemed to me that the moral could not remain the same as the original and appeal to modern audiences - maybe that was the point?
Anyway I did have a bit of fun.

Gina and her sister, Elle, loved nothing more than partying and online shopping. Elle had a steady boyfriend but Gina never found anyone good enough, going through boyfriends like dresses, discarding them after a few wearings.

Their mother feared Gina would never settle down, until her brother (in the film business) introduced Gina to a business associate, renowned for his wealth and slick lifestyle. Rostov, as he was known, was charming and exceedingly polite, but he was getting on in years and had been unlucky enough to have had two wives die. He showed much interest in Gina but she thought he was far too old and grey for anyone of her age – goodness he was old enough to be her father!

Despite this the sisters accepted an invitation to stay in one of his London mansions for a few days celebrating his birthday. Oh but you should have seen the rooms, all glass and style and chocolates on the pillow every night. Rostov attended to her every need and she began, as she sipped her champagne in the jacuzzi, to see him in a different light. He was kind and considerate and owned an island in the Caribbean. He knew people who might help her with her acting ambitions. What was there not to like?

It was not long before Gina was wed at one of the most popular and talked about weddings of the season. They were in “Hello” magazine and shortly after Rostov told her to invite all her friends to stay and party for a few days. The guests would be free to roam as they wished, ride and swim and play in the mini fairground, but Rostov warned Gina that she must not unlock the door to the cellar at the end of the East Wing; the key to that door was not to be touched and on no account was she to enter, to do so would unleash his anger.

Gina’s friends came over and no sooner had she settled them in the infinity pool with Pina Coladas than she ran to get the key to the cellar door. She found a light by the door and crept in to see several chest freezers.
What was this interest in frozen foods?

Tentatively she opened the first one… then the second…then the third. The contents of all the freezers was the same… dead bodies…female bodies.

Feeling sick to her stomach she ran out of the cellar and rushed to lock the door. She placed the key on its hook just as a hand tapped her on the shoulder…Rostov. “I’m back early.”

He threw her in the cellar and promising he would be back shortly to “dispose” of her, he left to tell the guests she was ill. Quickly, she texted her sister and best friend of her dilemma just as her battery ran out. She sat sobbing until sometime later when Rostov returned, his face distorted with anger, a knife in his hand.
She began pleading with him, making as much noise as she could muster. Then through the blur of tears she saw her friend descending the cellar steps. Then, just as Rostov heard the footsteps behind him, he was shot dead. Her best friend had brought a rifle from the fair rifle range just in case, one her hobbies being clay pigeon shooting. Lucky or what?

In the months after, Gina used her wealth to help her family and was much more circumspect in her choice of men. She married in due course after establishing her career and learning the value of mutual trust and respect.

Lori
Site Admin

Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:43 pm

A very fun ride, indeed, Mz. K! Believable and updated for today's viewer. I love that the heroes in the story are Gina herself and her friend. GIRL POWER! It always seems sweeter when the villain is done in by the very "weaker" underdog. I like how you wove in pop culture with the wedding being the event of the year showcased in a society magazine, along with Gina's ambition to be a movie star.

Like Blue Beard, I find it interesting that the motivations of the villain are never investigated and just barely hinted to by mentioning previous wives. That is sometimes a huge red flag. (Yes, I watch Lifetime Network where every other story involves both women and men usually using rat poison on their 3rd or 4th spouse. Where is the imagination there, I ask you?!)

It is appropriate in ways to ignore what led "Blue Beard" to this state of mind as a serial killer may only have evil and/or madness as an etiology for such acts. I suppose other stories which do delve into the psyche of such beings do the reader a favor by way of revealing the undercurrent in some people and helps us identify these things to a minor extent.

Your descriptions did make me ponder becoming a gold-digger as I do envy an infinity pool. The modernization of your story also pointed out for me that in today's world - at least in developed nations - there is a lot of choice for a secure future women can opt for on their own. Unfortunately, it isn't the case is all parts of the world. Thus, I thought some reviews of the Blue Beard story erroneously put the label of gold-digger on the wife. It was exactly what was expected and hoped for, and the trade-off beneficial for all in some very odd sense.

Two points:

1. I always say women who marry for money earn every penny.

2. In today's world, these guys have prenuptial agreements! (Of note, I tried to talk someone I know out of asking his betrothed for a prenup based on love. I felt I would never sign one as it puts in writing that this marriage thing is weak and will end. Good thing he didn't listen to me!)

Very enjoyable read!

Lori
Site Admin

Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:21 pm

To answer your question, MC, regarding the musical hands as applied to "the ideal partner", I do have a bit of a hand preference. I like what is referred to as "artists hands" where the fingers are long and make magic for their owners. No cigar club-like finger for me! (Not saying it is a deal breaker, but still...) More accurately, I was describing that I think my ideal mate has to have music in him and creativity because that is so vital in my own life and something very wonderful to share. If not, he'd better be drop-dead gorgeous, just saying.

Moonchime

Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:36 am

Lori wrote:

Like Blue Beard, I find it interesting that the motivations of the villain are never investigated and just barely hinted to by mentioning previous wives. That is sometimes a huge red flag.
I suppose investigating the motivations of the villain make the story much longer and perhaps detract from a moral which uses women as the ones who falter instead of focusing on the development of evil. When I was researching the Blue Beard tale I was surprised by how many films were apparently inspired by it - or at the very least by the idea of a serial killer; that very term is only relatively recent.
In fact when I think about it Blue Beard (as far as we know him)seems to fit the profile of a typical psychopath in that he was described as been very charming/civil and that is what often confuses people into ignoring some of the less attractive traits of such a type.

There seems very little to warn a person (meeting someone as an adult) except for lying (which you might not realise) and a refusal to accept blame - which again isn't something that would instantly alert you as it a common defense characteristic. Of course as time went on I'm sure things would come to light but by then...

I've been watching The Ted Bundy Tapes on Netflix (when I can stomach it) and he certainly fooled a lot of people!

Lori wrote:

Your descriptions did make me ponder becoming a gold-digger as I do envy an infinity pool. The modernization of your story also pointed out for me that in today's world - at least in developed nations - there is a lot of choice for a secure future women can opt for on their own. Unfortunately, it isn't the case is all parts of the world. Thus, I thought some reviews of the Blue Beard story erroneously put the label of gold-digger on the wife. It was exactly what was expected and hoped for, and the trade-off beneficial for all in some very odd sense.
I absolutely agree Lori - I thought label of gold-digger was very much a modern way to see it - the realistic alternative for women then, and indeed as you say, now in some parts of the world, was/is to be left with nothing - no means of support - women having little or no choice was/is very real indeed. It is society that creates those contexts in their expectations of
those within it.

Money is power.

Two points:

1. I always say women who marry for money earn every penny.
Once again totally agree.

I think money is still very powerful in relationships and can often be a problem if you don't view spending in the same way!! :57: :72:
I can't help but wonder about your friend and that prenup.

Moonchime

Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:37 am

Lori wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:21 pm
I like what is referred to as "artists hands" where the fingers are long and make magic for their owners. No cigar club-like finger for me! (Not saying it is a deal breaker, but still...)

it's funny because I don't think I've ever thought about a particular shape of hand in that way - I agree that hands that make magic are important.

My hands are the cigar type and I've always wondered if that's why my piano playing isn't all it could be! :57:
My dad's hands were cigars too, gnarled and rough but wonderfully gentle and, I think, expressive.

I do agree though, that long fingers evoke images of grace and elegance so I know where you're coming from.

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:05 am

Sorry I'm so late to this thread, house move and all that jazz. I've finally finished the course so I can catch up here too!
Lori wrote:
My diary entry:

I am wondering who you would be, ideal partner. How would you top the "best of the best" who has that good, good heart, humor to the moon and back, caring beyond compare, a kaleidoscope mind that never fails to fill these days with crazy wonder, that sculpted lower lip and those beautiful musical hands? Would you have the same courage and confidence in the storm of life as he? And would you have the wonderful playfulness required to ignore the storm? I would not box you in and define your parameters to an ideal, though some of the above would be very nice, knowing you are unique and wonderfully made - something unopened and unexplored as of yet by me.

I loved this, Lori. It's kind of become an ode to your one and only and very real man, questioning whether anyone 'ideal' could possibly surpass the bar already set so high. Whether anyone could possibly fill his boots - the boots you've grown so accustomed to? And yet there's an openness to the faint possibility that there could be other kinds of wonderful qualities in someone, qualities you might have not considered desirable before. There's a gentle curiosity about the possibility of something beautiful yet different out there, that might be fun to explore.

I'm thinking about the difference in our approach to the task. You've celebrated the real and left the ideal purposefully undefined, yet open and curious to their possibility. Whereas I've deliberately welded real and the fantasy, creating an 'ideal' that worked for me at the time of writing.

It makes me wonder that somehow our ideals, our needs shift as we ourselves change. I'm not just talking about getting older and wiser. Our needs can change in so many ways and so quickly and often unpredictably from day to day.

One day stable and predictable will be just what we need, the safe haven, whilst on another day this would be the very thing that we'd push against. :57:

• Information