Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Summoning Yourself - What Only You Know

Moonchime

Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:39 am

Thank you so much Lori for your lovely generous thoughts on my "little" offering. I so love reading these perceptive and willing responses.
Lori wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:31 am

Really, the entire concept is hilarious and something I'd not thought of but should be included in the "Kid Handbook".
Now there's a fun idea Mz L - writing a kid's handbook. I like that idea. I really do :72:

I have this image of little you swinging tiny peg legs while contemplating life on the commode. I suppose toilets were a "thing" as young kids. A place away from the madding crowd. ...And that old blue sky calling to kiddos that there is life beyond walls and fresh air outside. So sweet.

In truth I have always loved swinging my legs from some installation or other that is too high for me. In fact even now I like to seek out the extraordinarily high bench and see if I can swing my legs. Benches always seemed higher than toilets and I was taught not to sit on toilets!!!! Terrible strain on the legs though! :57: :57: :57:

:57: :72: So glad you could be arsed to write "willie"
It was an effort but I found the strength! I suspect the word-bank for that one is really long!!! :57: :72:

I love this depiction of child. I took it as having your voice heard and given credence when all the world sees you as a child - "disguised as an elf" is perfect. I so love that comparison. Do we all remember the fully-formed inner self moments that looked out through our yet to be fully formed eyes at times?
This is one of those moments where an interpretation is better than the original although I like to think some of that truth was there. :72:

This is interesting and I wind it backu p to reading/spelling with the word all atumble. (New word and I like it: atumble). I may be wrong.
I think it should go into our Harbour dictionary!!

I haven't read any of the Beverly Cleary books but they look fun from the outside! I might have to tone down the exposure bits though! I read that in America publishers don't like any mention of breaking wind whereas in England it is acceptable. Having said that I haven't read any with the above in it, but we do have toilet stuff and pants in children's literature.

Thank you for looking up the "cross my heart and hope to die" quote. I never realised it originated from a Christian oath - makes sense now I think about it though. I love discovering the origin of sayings and words.

Thank you again dear PIC and don't forget to enter atumble in the dictionary. :x

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:13 am

One thing leads to another, and as I was watching some more videos of Jonna Jinton, I've come across her rendition of the Wolf Song. This reminded me immediately of Lori's poem, very interesting lyrics, especially in this context:

The Wolf is howling in the forest of the night
He wants to, but cannot sleep
The hunger tears his stomach
And it’s cold in his burrow

Wolf, Wolf, don’t you come here,
I will never let you take my child

Lori
Site Admin

Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:33 pm

That's mesmerizing, isn't it? Such beautiful imagery.

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:22 am

Lori wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:33 pm
That's mesmerizing, isn't it? Such beautiful imagery.
Yes! Abd I forgot to add that the song goes on about how hungry the Wolf is and she throws him a pig’s tail and chicken’s leg (not milk!) to keep him at bay and away from her child.

It’s like a partner poem to yours!

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:08 pm

Wow! She has the right idea with the protein. Really interesting parallel. I'll take this as a partner to my poem any day!

Moonchime

Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:33 am

That is one magnificent wolf - not scraggy like they usually are. I too came across this when wandering in the Nordic feast of chants and calls.

You could lose yourself forever in those vast sky and snow-scapes with the whirling stars and trees making you dizzy with their haunting melodies!!

But what I do want to know is where the middle-aged Nordic women are who get up looking rough as hell after a late night!!!????

Lori
Site Admin

Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:09 am

No kidding!!! I am guessing no one wants to see me slip my rippling body into an ice hole, resplendent in my threadbare sports bra and pants. (See? I am learning the lingo!)
Spoiler:

Dee
Site Admin

Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:54 pm

Lol, funny you should mention ‘real’ Nordic women, without fairy dust... Mz Peggy has just introduced me to this wonderful Russian lady living in Siberia. Raucous singing, no concept of pretty, just joyous living.

Lori
Site Admin

Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:28 pm

Pip’s Beginning

Arranged in lines
Be a toy soldier in a small plaid shift dress
Crisp white baby doll collar
Skin tanned still from summer

Some kind of jail
Be a good girl now say smiling nodding parents
Pint-sized oddities pushed Pip’s way
Small nails into small holes with a small hammer

For hours it seems
Alone at the long line of wooden tables
Join a circle now says the lady with the pale oval stare
Pip doesn’t think so not today not ever

This is The Beginning
Ground zero to an eternal ache for exit signs
Walk this way now, Julie appears fresh and freckled
Marching her tiny soldier back through the door

To the table to the small hammer
To talk weeping Humpty off the ledge
To say Pip’s name oh so slowly - to tame
Pip peers into The End (say it all together class) The Party Over

There is writing on the wall in tall stiff chalk lines
Confines rising to claim a girl-child hangman style
Abandoned and handed over
To the smell of cold Klear-waxed floors

Greens and mottled whites
Taken away from the sun
From diamond patterns on the living room rug
The open window – the Vivaldi score

Faceless voices instructing
Voices down the hall leaving and leaving
An entire world disappearing
Muted by closing doors and the ticking clock

After The End comes The Middle
There is comfort in A and B and C
A half-circle is better and there is an end chair
There is “horse” and “ball” and “sock”

Latonya Wanamaker invites herself home
Her mouth a swarming of bees buzzing and buzzing
Carry me away now, Pip says to both feet
To small white socks with the lace edge flipped over

Shiny black patent leather through the back alley
Past Robbie’s grinning metallic blue bike
Past any point of recognition with no direction home
Free on folded wings all atwitch rather than aflutter

Pip thinks lost is a far Better Beginning

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:26 am

Oh my. What little treasure has just appeared here?

After a few reads ... and I just want to put my arms around this little Pip and tell her it’s going to be ok. Maybe not at the Beginning, or in the Middle, or at the End, but at least Sometimes. And that she’s not alone feeling like this. Perhaps some others are better at pretending. Or suppressing.
And that if they do seem to thrive in this crazy world, like Latonya Wanamaker, it might be because they lack the sensitivity to experience life in its complexity. And whilst that might shelter them from some pain, it will also deprive them much of its beauty.

But sadly we can’t hug lil’ Pip to our bosom.

So it just clenches our heart as we read the poem and put a picture together from the jigsaw pieces of this super sensitive, introverted, sad little girl, in her home and at school.

There are many puzzle pieces in this poem that seem very personal and I struggle to decipher, - it would be wonderful to find out more, - but there is enough that I can understand to put a meaningful picture together.

The parts I loved in the poem:

The image of feeling like a toy soldier parents (teachers) arrange as they wish. The feeling of being imprisoned. The constantly bubbling resentment at being told what to do, where to be. The fervent need to be left alone, to have no demands put on her. The fleeting images of clothes and skin, and the meaningless woodwork toy. “The lady with the pale oval stare”. Such good description. “Join a circle now” - could be literal in a school setting but also metaphorical: fit in, be with everyone else as one link in the chain. Once you’re in the circle, it’s hard to break out again, and much harder to stay an observer rather than a participant - in activities that have no appeal.

This is The Beginning
Ground zero to an eternal ache for exit signs

This is particularly sad, as it suggests that the feeling of wanting to get the hell out of conformity is still a constant struggle for our Pip, probably all grown up now.

Julie - an older sister maybe? Trying to help Pip fit in, trying to raise her spirits.

Loved this line:

To talk weeping Humpty off the ledge

And with it comes the first big puzzle of the poem for me.

To say Pip’s name oh so slowly - to tame
Pip peers into The End (say it all together class) The Party Over

I feel Humpty is still Pip, a nursery rhyme character Pip identifies with. Julie is trying to lure Pip back from the proverbial edge, love the line break - to tame/Pip peers btw.
My puzzle is the bit in bracket, the “say it altogether class” and “The Party Over”. I think it is about our little Pip being so unhappy that she was contemplating what if she could just “not be”, but I wonder how the class/school comes back into the picture again. This is really heart wrenching.

The next verse is so expressive. The image of our little Pip forced to be in school, totally disengaged. The silly children’s wordgame ‘Hangman’ is another morbid metaphor for the poem’s dominant feeling of being constricted, ordered, forced, imprisoned, pushed to their limit. Step by step, like lines in the game of hangman when you don’t get something right.
There is a price to pay for every ‘mistake’.

Then after the school we have images of the home again, the patterns on the rug, the music.
I wonder what this means:

“Greens and mottled whites
Taken away from the sun”?

Then we get to a crescendo in the poem:

Faceless voices instructing
Voices down the hall leaving and leaving
An entire world disappearing
Muted by closing doors and the ticking clock

For me this is a complex mixture of ‘leave me alone’ and ‘why are you always leaving me alone’. A child who’s not really seen, whose needs are ignored.

The next verse, ‘The Middle’ for me speaks of our Pip attempting to find a compromise - trying to at least half fit in: not join a circle but a semi-circle that is a lot easier to slip out from, especially if you take the seat at the end. Works literally as much as metaphorically again. She finds some comfort in learning. And then the three words are again a puzzle: horse, ball, sock. The horse would make sense on its own, but with the other two words next to it, I wonder about the connection? Learning to read perhaps?

Latonya Wanamaker invites herself home
Her mouth a swarming of bees buzzing and buzzing
Carry me away now, Pip says to both feet
To small white socks with the lace edge flipped over

This might just be my favourite verse. Utterly brilliant. The contrast between the two children. The annoying overzealous nature of Latonya. Maybe even worse. Bees can sting you. She might have been mean too.
The guest you wish would leave already or you could escape somehow. The image of our little Pip wanting to run. Her little socks. Love it.

Shiny black patent leather through the back alley
Past Robbie’s grinning metallic blue bike
Past any point of recognition with no direction home
Free on folded wings all atwitch rather than aflutter

The first two lines are a puzzle again- especially next to each other, as the first line gives me an adult image whilst the bike takes us back to childhood.
Our Pip wants to run away from it all, and get ‘lost’, as ‘lost’ is better than being in ‘some kind of jail’. And you at least have a chance to be found. But her little wings are not yet ready to fly. Loved the ending, the last line is perfect.

Mz S, I loved this so much. I wonder if you could elaborate a little on the puzzles?

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:28 pm

Thank you for your kind review and protective thoughts of Pip with your soft and lovely teacher's heart. I won't say too much at this juncture except that the entire poem happens completely at the school until walking home with Latonya. I had two versions of this and in the other had added a single word "From". Perhaps that helps the reader understand that is the safe and golden place left behind and traded for the cold school with the waxed floors.

Greens and mottled whites
Taken away from the sun
From diamond patterns on the living room rug
The open window – the Vivaldi score

I also see where the black patent leather could bring an image of a grown-up to mind. (Especially one so taken by leather...) Actually, it is a continuation of the feet and I probably could make that more clear.

I so enjoyed seeing this through your eyes. Please don't worry about that little one and that first very trying day of kindergarten. It only lasted a little over 13 years... She's all grown up and fine o' fine! xoxo

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:56 am

Lori wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:28 pm
I also see where the black patent leather could bring an image of a grown-up to mind. (Especially one so taken by leather...)

Khm, khm, Mz L! Moi? “So taken by leather...” ??? Well, well. I’d say I might not be the only one, hm? Hm?

Actually, it is a continuation of the feet and I probably could make that more clear.

Oh, that’s just the cutest band of course it makes perfect sense now. Damn my grown up mind running uncontrollably to places. :roll:

I so enjoyed seeing this through your eyes. Please don't worry about that little one and that first very trying day of kindergarten. It only lasted a little over 13 years... She's all grown up and fine o' fine! xoxo

Well, 13 years is a very long time when you’re a child! :o :o :o
You’ve also mentioned “an eternal ache for exit signs” stemming from this experience...

I was just thinking, that yes, some of these childhood fears, phobias, grievances and unpleasant experiences might indeed fade with time... but at time they burn with such intensity. What might look trivial now, back then it was colossal. And back then we were not yet equipped to deal with these things - or just beginning to learn to cope. As children, we have no way of knowing that “this too shall pass”, it might be paralysing to think that these bad things and feelings are here to stay and might never go away. And needless to say, some bad experiences could in fact cause permanent damage. It can be very dangerous, being a child.

• Information