Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

The Surrealist Game

Moonchime

Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:30 am

Moonchime wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:07 am
Concrete nouns:

Window - an insight onto another world

Cloud - shape - shifting vapour that flits across the skies in varying moods

Phone - a very useful device for communication that demands attention

Mirror - a truth teller

Abstract nouns:

Humour - an amusing way of viewing life that brightens the mood

Fear - an unpleasant emotion caused by a real or perceived threat

Truth - something that is factual and free of opinion

Danger - something that can cause harm and needs respect
Thank you for your definitions Dee - I really liked your warm blanket for humour and your pesky cloud creatures. :72:

Moonchime

Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:43 am

I mean your fluffy little cloud creatures - not pesky - that's more the phone!!!

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:41 am

Moonchime wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:55 am
Obviously as you say there are many ways of defining so many of these words - particularly the abstract ones. With my peace definition I was coming from the view of worrying about the self - am I good enough?/have I done the right thing?/what do people think?/where did I go wrong?/should I? I shouldn't have/everything would be better if ... etc. etc. Self recrimination and over analysing resulting in losing oneself in inner turmoil - after all you can't escape your own mind except perhaps through immersing yourself in something else hence mindfulness/meditation. I'm not suggesting ignoring /fulfilling who you are meant to be or ignoring your needs, quite the reverse, just giving yourself space to rest outside of yourself.
I suppose it is a basic tenet of many philosophies and religions - although they tackle it in slightly different ways but for good mental health I think you need to be able to take yourself lightly and accept who you are, knowing your value as a human being.
Easier said than done I know, but in your acceptance you are freed, at which point I think there is peace.
Thanks for the thorough explanation, Mz MC.

Yes, you’re explaining mindfulness in action. The key is acceptance - as in we stop beating ourselves up for our true or perceived shortcomings. Accepting that the voices within will never ever shut up, but perhaps we can take a step back and recognise them for what they are. I like how you’ve put this: “in your acceptance you are freed, at which point I think there is peace” I like how you equal freedom (with emphasis on the meaning ‘not being a slave’) with peace.

• Information