Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

In A Deep Blue Sea

Lori
Site Admin

Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:06 pm

Moonchime

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:53 am

For me it was always a lake - it was just the way I saw it.

In a Deep Blue Lake

Sky reaching fronds beckon me to
come know the Secrets of the Lake;
to skip past disapproving stares
and dive, dress plumed
to drink in freedom.

Enough of polite chatter, for
I would speak with the
Fishes of the Deep, of
which pools go full fathom five and where
the sunlight listens to the reeds.

I will learn the names of shy
flowers that peer through the
ripples and how to
hold their faces in glass on a
summer’s day.

I’ll chase fat clouds
into moss-topped banks
and feel the stroke of the Willow
Weeping on my brow.

Then, when the water skips
to the wild wind’s whistle,
and all the lake’s adance
I’ll tumble dizzy
through the laughing currents.

Whilst in the hidden shadows,
where Lily spells abound,
I shall float easy
above conferring minnows.
My skirts will blossom bright and bold
frog serenades will sound.

But when darkness settles
like a mother’s kiss,
and all the fishes sleep,
I’ll hold the Moon
in my outstretched arms and
sing of the Wonders of the Deep.

KBK

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:17 am

This is just wonderful, Mz Moonchime. I'm quite overwhelmed with all the richness of these images and feelings, three reads on. I think it captures the mood of the picture prompt beautifully. Can't wait for Lori to see this.

I'll come back to this later to pick favourite lines. Right now all the lines are my favourites.

Thank you for this lovely gift you've given us today... I'm not kidding: it's made my day. :x

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:01 pm

Oh Mz. Moonchime...Mz MC - You are a treasure. This beautiful flowing depiction took me to a deep blue place and carried me with your words alongside flower and willow, fish and the giving sky. You write of sweet freedom and weave images I swear I could reach out and touch. This piece literally takes the reader's hand and gently pulls us through a playground of peace. I am refreshed. (...and impressed)

*bowing to you*

Moonchime

Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:57 am

You are both very kind. I'm so glad you like it. :x

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:28 pm

I was trying to write something for this beautiful prompt that is now so tied with you, Lori, and this place...and of course Mz Moonchime has created such wonderful poetry inspired by it...

And all I had was this:

Swim, swim away
Into the heart of a song...

No more words were coming, but then came the idea of trying to add music to it. So here it is, I hope you will like it and feel it worthy of Lori's avatar. :oops: :x

https://soundcloud.com/user-921334438/i ... -of-a-song

Or:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4x0a7i5u86lcz ... d.wav?dl=0

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:54 pm

Revisiting your beautiful poetry, Mz Moonchime... it really is such as delight. Everything is so tangible, and we can see everything through the mermaid's eyes, looking up from the deep, taking note of the hills, the flowers, the sun... and looking underneath her, all the fish, the reed, the currents, the deep! It really feels like we are there too...

You've also managed to create such a character... playful but selfcontained, contemplative yet happy in herself, caught up in the wonder of her world. It's brilliant writing and captures the essence of this picture perfectly. In awe. :x

Today, this is my favourite verse:

Enough of polite chatter, for
I would speak with the
Fishes of the Deep, of
which pools go full fathom five and where
the sunlight listens to the reeds.

I will learn the names of shy
flowers that peer through the
ripples and how to
hold their faces in glass on a
summer’s day.

Yeah, I know it was two verses. When it actually came down to it, I couldn't choose. These two are my favourite verses. :x

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 am

I have to say that this thread is so wonderful it hurts. And now this beautiful undulating song taking our hands and gently guiding us through warm waters to depths of simple brilliance. Such a gift from our beloved, Mz. A.

Moonchime

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:08 am

It's difficult to know how I can add to Mz L's wonderful comments on that incredibly soothing piece of music Mz D - I think I shall play it whenever I am beset by worry and stress - it has the most incredible feeling of contented calm - almost as good as a gong bath!!!

Thank you Dee for re-visiting this thread and telling me your favourite verses - it's fun to think that each day may colour you differently. Interestingly enough I often have an inkling which parts you will like best although it wasn't quite so clear to me this time. :) :)

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:58 am

Thank you so much, my dear friends. :x

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:01 am

Interestingly enough I often have an inkling which parts you will like best although it wasn't quite so clear to me this time. :) :)
That's always a fun part, isn't it? To find out which bit strung a chord with your friends. Guess it even! It's so very special, and brings us closer still. :x

• Information