Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

‘Penny Dreadful’ Renewed at Showtime with a New Setting and Characters

DawnFae

Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:59 pm

‘Penny Dreadful’ Renewed at Showtime with a New Setting and Characters

After a surprise cancellation two years ago, Penny Dreadful is rising from the dead like, well, one of the monsters its original cast of characters might have fought. Showtime announced today that the series is now apparently an anthology, and will return to the premium network with a new installment titled City of Angels. The new season will focus on 1930s Los Angeles, and series creator John Logan will be returning to write and executive produce.

Described as “A spiritual descendant of the Penny Dreadful story set in Victorian-era London, the next chapter opens in 1938 Los Angeles, a time and place deeply infused with Mexican-American folklore and social tension. Rooted in the conflict between characters connected to the deity Santa Muerte and others allied with the Devil, Penny Dreadful: City of Angels will explore an exciting mix of the supernatural and the combustible reality of that period, creating new occult myths and moral dilemmas within a genuine historical backdrop. This chapter is a bold new vision that will employ all new characters and storylines.”

Penny Dreadful: City of Angels is expected to go into production in 2019.

Read more under the following link:

http://collider.com/penny-dreadful-rene ... ls/#poster

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:25 am

This looks interesting, thanks, DF!

Logan did a brilliant job with the first two and a half seasons of PD, then it kind of lost its way a little and the ending was so rushed and rather unsatisfactory to us... But I'm certainly happy to give him another chance.

DawnFae

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:32 am

Dee wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:25 am
This looks interesting, thanks, DF!

Logan did a brilliant job with the first two and a half seasons of PD, then it kind of lost its way a little and the ending was so rushed and rather unsatisfactory to us... But I'm certainly happy to give him another chance.
It does sound very interesting! I suppose Eva Green won't make an appearance?
But if the stories are new there is still some hope perhaps!
:73:

Sadly, the ending of the glorious Penny Dreadful series was really rushed and painful. Logan pulled the rug from under our feet :73: .
We'll see if the new series will be as good as the first 2 and 1/2 Penny Dreadful seasons. If it is good I hope that the network won't cheat us again...

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:26 pm

This is exciting! I will give it a shot even though a large portion of my love of the series involved Eva Green.

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:02 pm

Khm, khm. Are we forgetting someone?

Spoiler:

Lori
Site Admin

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:50 am

Don't even....

DawnFae

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:18 pm

Penny Dreadful: City of Angels continues the supernatural legacy of the original Showtime series, shifting its setting to 1930s Los Angeles.

Rory Kinnear is returning to Penny Dreadful! The news should delight fans of the original series. However (and this is a big “however”), he’s not reprising his memorably tragic role as John Clare/The Creature/Caliban (as pictured above).

Indeed, affirming the anthological nature of this new series entry, Kinnear will join the main cast to play a new character, Dr. Peter Craft, who Showtime describes as “a successful German pediatrician and the head of the German-American Bund, an organization he hopes will keep the United States isolated from the growing threat of war in Europe.”

Penny Dreadful: City of Angels is expected to go into production in 2019.

Read more here:

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/penny-d ... ngels-news

DawnFae

Sat May 11, 2019 2:54 pm

'Penny Dreadful': All the Details (So Far) on Showtime's 'City of Angels' Revival

The Story

City of Angels begins in 1938 Los Angeles, a time and place deeply infused with Mexican-American folklore and social tension. It will explore pre-World War II Los Angeles, from the building of the city's first freeways and its deep traditions of Mexican-American folklore, to the dangerous espionage actions of the Third Reich and the rise of radio evangelism.

"In 1938, Los Angeles was facing some hard questions about its future and its soul. Our characters must do the same," Logan said. "There are no easy answers. There are only powerful questions and arresting moral challenges. As always in the world of Penny Dreadful, there are no heroes or villains in this world, only protagonists and antagonists; complicated and conflicted characters living on the fulcrum of moral choice."

The story will involve a young LAPD detective and his family, his veteran partner and a shape-shifting demon.

The Characters

Tiago Vega, played by Daniel Zovatto (Here and Now), is a young detective at the LAPD who investigates a grisly murder. The case will eventually sweep him into an epic story that reflects the rich history of the city.

Lewis Michener (Nathan Lane) is Tago's partner. A veteran of the department, Lewis is wise to the ways of the world and ruthless in pursuit of his goals.

Magda, played by Natalie Dormer (Game of Thrones), is a demon who can take on the appearance of anyone she chooses and will appear in the guise of several people during the course of the story.

Mateo and Josefina Vega (Johnathan Nieves and Jessica Garza) are Tiago's younger siblings. Mateo is good-hearted but vulnerable to his emotions and influences around him, while Josefina plays the part of the overlooked youngest sister but has a powerful spirit waiting to be unleashed.

Maria, played by Adriana Barraza (Babel), is the matriarch of the Vega family. She'll go to any lengths to protect her children from the dangerous world of 1938 social politics, as well as the supernatural forces invading their lives.

Dr. Peter Craft is played by Rory Kinnear, who also starred in the first Penny Dreadful (as a different character). Logan, who calls Kinnear "one of my favorite actors on the planet," wrote the part with him in mind. Dr. Craft is the leader of the German-American Bund, an organization dedicated to keeping the United States isolated from the growing threat of war in Europe.

Sister Molly (Halt and Catch Fire's Kerry Bishé) is a charismatic radio evangelist, a gifted singer and orator. She captivates her many followers but grapples with the demands of her own life.

Source:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... al-1195394

DawnFae

Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:33 am

Penny Dreadful: City of Angels (2020) Official Teaser

Air Date April 26 2020
I can't wait! How about you guys :x ?

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:53 pm

:57: Is that Marjorie from GoT?

DawnFae

Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:06 pm

Yes, that is Marjorie from GOT :72: !
The series could be interesting. I am hoping it will be :x !
Are you going to watch it Dee?
I have been really busy these days so I was not often here :73: . I hope it will get better in the next 2-3 weeks.
I hope you are doing well!
All of you Mermaids :x

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:15 pm

I’ll put it on my list of Things To Watch, DF, but it’s a long list, and I’ve got books here I must read, so I’m not sure when I’ll get round to it. I’ll await your recommendation. I’ve still got to finish V-Wars! Have you started on that?

Yes, it’s been very quiet here lately, everyone is super busy.
I’ll have a week off next week, thank god, so I’ll hope to be around a bit more.

• Information